Surgery is a very important part of medical specialty. It is the use of manual and instrumental techniques to operate on patient to diagnose or treat any abnormality or pathological condition or injury to improve function of body or appearance of body by repairing of ruptured areas. Surgery involves cutting of patient’s tissues or closure of wounds, which are sustained before.
Prerequisites of surgery include sterile environment which may include fumigation of ward, anaesthesia to make unconscious, antiseptic conditions to prevent spread of any infection, properly sterilized surgical instruments for proper and infection free treatment along with sterile bandages, haemostats gauzes and suction for clearing the field of blood and for proper vision and lastly suturing or stapling with use of sterilised sutures, needle holders and needle.
Classification of Surgery: Based on following categories, surgery is classified as:
- Based on emergency: Elective surgery is done in non- threatening life situation, Semi- elective done to avoid permanent disability or death and Emergency surgery is don’t to save life or function of any part of body.
- Based on type of body part: It is classified on the basis of organ, organ system or tissues on which it is being performed. Example: – Cardiac surgery or surgery of heart and tissues, Orthopaedic surgery or surgery of bones, etc.
- Purpose based: Example: Cosmetic surgery to improve appearance of the body part or Exploratory to confirm diagnosis, etc.
- Procedure based: Example: Amputation which involves cutting off body part to prevent spread of infection, Resection which involves removal of one or more internal part of body, etc.
- Based on invasiveness: Minimally invasive involves small incisions like laparoscopy or angioplasty or Open surgical procedures with large incisions.
- Based on use of equipment: Laser surgery involving use of laser for cutting or use of microscope in Microsurgery.
One of the major surgeries involving bones, joints and muscles is Orthopaedic surgery. It is done when no medication or physiotherapy comes to rescue in cases of osteoarthritis or fracture or any bone related deformities. These surgeries are common with weight bearing joints like knee and hips.
Preference of India to get treated for Hip replacement:
Price of hip replacement surgery in India is economical. India has highly qualified surgeons with great expertise and with the impeccable advancements in technology for surgery is at par with the best in the world. The cost of hip replacement is around $7200 compared to that of other countries where it ranges from 10,000- 50,000 $.
Hip replacement: why and how?
Hip replacement is a surgical procedure for reformation of hip joint and is basically due to osteoarthritis which is basically caused by wear and tear of joint surfaces affecting cartilages of hip’s ball and socket joint and hence pain and stiffness appearance. People with hip arthritis have difficulty in walking, climbing stairs and performing regular activities. This hip joint destruction can also occur due to loss of blood supply to thighs as rheumatoid arthritis or infection or developmental anomalies or trauma.
Post care related with hip replacement surgery:
Although total hip replacement cost in India is highly reasonable and cost effective yet post care is provided properly with all the muscle strengthening exercises as guided by physiotherapist, avoiding lifting of heavy objects, impactful exercises which cause damage to new hip joints and keeping the operated leg in neutral position with avoiding flexion of more than 90 degrees while doing activities.